It is OKAY to lose yourself
(Photo Credit Belongs to Photographer: Amber Nicole Ginter)


I remember a time in my life when I lost myself.  Who I was.  What I enjoyed doing. How I entertained myself.  Where I could be found.  Who I saw and valued through the girl looking back at me with tear-stained eyes and a scattered, yet shattered perception of what I’d become.

This was a time of my life that today, I would not coin as treasured and favorite moment.  In fact, my favorite way to recall its series of unfortunate events is not at all, often held at the deepest back of my mind and blackest hole of my insecurities.  It was a time where I allowed others views of who I was, to morph into all I cared about.  A time where what I enjoyed doing revolved around guys I wanted to impress, or friends I wanted to make (beg for).  One where my entertainment and location became less about being healthy and having fun, and more about isolation, counting numbers, obsession, and anything but strong.

And although I am certainly not proud of these moments, as I look back on them now, I do know what I have learned, what I will not ever again repeat, and that since the past is in the past, I will no longer allow it to define me.

Because in all candor, it is 100% okay to have a period of time where you lose yourself.  Let me state that again.  It is okay to lose yourself.  BUT, it is not okay to stay there.  In other words, it is okay to lose yourself, just don’t let your residency take place there.

Throughout the periods of my life where I felt the most lost, I also felt the furthest away from God.  Not instantly of course, but slowly, over time, I became unhappy with who I had become, and what I had transformed into.  And why?  Because one, I was not happy, two, I was not being myself, and three, I was not living and embodying the life that Christ had called me to.  And as sad as that sounds, I just wasn’t.

For in a brilliant quote that I once heard, and love, “she understood that the hardest times in life to go through were when you were transitioning from one version of yourself to another” (Sarah Addison Allen).  After all, maybe the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself, so that when you find those deeply loved and core roots of yourself hidden inside your soul, they will come out stronger than they ever had before,

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, whoever you are trying to become, know that losing yourself isn’t the end of the world.  Sure, it isn’t the most pleasurable time of your life, but I guarantee that once you defeat this identity battle, you will be able to face anything this crazy life may throw at you.  It isn’t too late, you aren’t too far gone, and that you that’s been missing for a while is still inside of you, just waiting to be found.

We all lose ourselves once in a while-obtaining hobbies to try and impress others, collecting new diet facades and exercise programs to feed the beauty image demons inside of us, and running the race of life without a care as to if we are living up to the calling Christ has called us to.  But no matter the situation, deed, obsession, or habits, realize that these things aren’t the real you.  Only you and God know the real you, after it has been falsely hidden by deception for a period.

So, it is time you let the lost be found, and allow God to heal your need for what caused you to become lost in the first place. 

Allow others to see the real you, even if it doesn’t match their standards… because does their opinion really matter anyways?

Let them see who you were created to become… because God’s plan for you is brighter than anything you could ever ask or image.

And above all, just press on towards the journey of relocating your lost self… because it will not be easy, after all, it is a process, but love yourself enough to seek the you that God created you to be.

It is OKAY to lose yourself, but it is never okay to let your residency take place there.

Agape, Amber

Popular posts from this blog

Totally Amber

When Words Fail To Speak

Maybe It's Okay