Maybe It's Okay

Maybe It’s Okay

Before I graduated from Ohio Christian University, I was given the privilege to work for both the Writing Center and Media Team.  During one of my Media Team shifts, I had the unique opportunity to interview 2018 graduates of the Adult Graduate studies program, in which I got to meet a wonderful woman who had not only survived human trafficking but now gone on to make a name for herself.  After the interview, I had tears in my eyes at the vulnerability and truth of her story.  Immediately following, I went home, wrote with passion, and sent the report to my team.  What I got back in an email, however, left a taste as bitter as spoiled milk in my mouth something to the extent of:

“I really wish we could publish something like this, but it’s too real and raw. We have to maintain the standards of the college professionally and only present the best information that upholds that integrity.”

And nothing against my college (because I love it!), but isn’t that the problem with Churches and Christians today?  We think we have to be “perfect” all the time and put up that front.

Today, I wanted to write about a lesson that I taught to a youth group on authenticity and our emotions, and how we often don’t know each other as well as we think we do.  For example, if I were to tell you that I was born as a redhead, have two-half brothers, and have never struggled with anxiety or depression, would you be able to spot the lie?  Probably not.  The same goes for each of us when someone asks us, or we ask others “How are you doing today?” and we reply “fine, good, or okay,” when in reality, that is the farthest from how we are actually feeling.  And how many of us, as painstakingly true as it is, answer God that way when He keeps knocking at our hearts saying, “I know you aren’t okay,” but we quickly reply, “Yes, Lord? I am fine! I promise I’m fine,” just so we won’t have to unpack and unload our heavy burdens on Him.  We think it’s a polite and covered up response, but is it genuine? Of course not. God asks for our whole heart, and when we choose to hide that from Him, we not only debilitate our growth of faith but the impact we have on others through the authenticity and vulnerability of it.

In Colossians 1:17, Scripture tells us that “God (He) is before all things and in Him, all things hold together.” His Word also reveals in John 1:3, that, “Christ is the sustainer of all things,” and guess what?! That includes all of you, and yes, your messy emotions.

This week, I want to encourage you that Christ is supreme and holds all power far higher than anything we could ever face.  With this, He wants us to bring our whole heart to Him, even when we are not okay. And why? Because when we are weak, we are made strong in Him! “His power is made perfect in our weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Below, I have attached the song “Maybe It’s Okay” by We Are Messengers because I pray that it speaks truth into this concept.  Taking a few moments, reflect on how you’re really feeling. Talk, pray with a friend, and spend time with the Father; He wants to hear from you-even you that’s a jumbled mess of emotions, confusion, and lies that Satan tries to throw at you.  Regardless of your feelings, circumstances, situations, and the never-ending list of mood swings know this: The world needs more authentic Christians that are okay with admitting that it’s okay not to be okay.

Until next time my friends,
Agape,
Amber


Popular posts from this blog

Totally Amber

When Words Fail To Speak

I've Moved!